Sunday, April 19, 2009

Illusion of Spring

Daffodils at Hampton Court



The Illusion of Spring

Too long deprived of light, and life, and sound,
but now young Spring begins to cast her spell;
she breathes, the warm air melts the icy ground.

As if by magic soil begins to swell
with tender, fresh, green shoots drawn to the sun.
The earth soaks up the soft rain like a well,

now Winter’s harshest trials are undone.
Unfurling leaves, lean stems and tiny buds,
stand proud and speak of promises to come.

Nature’s treasures, presents from the Gods -
their beauty, scent, and colour unsurpassed -
fill England’s meadows, lawns and shady woods.

Perfume pales, blooms fade, leaves fall - too fast.
So sad to say, illusions do not last.

Suzi


This was one of my first attempts at a poem after starting my creative writing class and my first attempt at a Terza Rima, an interlocking three line rhyme scheme. It was difficult! It has quite an old fashioned feel to it probably because I had not read a ton of modern poetry at this stage. I have to say I do like the old fashioned poets though, particularly Gerard Manley Hopkins. I have yet to attempt another Terza Rima, maybe that's a challenge for me this year.

It tries to convey the magic of this time of year when everything comes alive again. Spring is personified and seen as the illusionist who creates beauty and wonder with her colours, shapes and smells. It also speaks of the transient nature of these wonders which seem to fade as suddenly as they appear. That's perhaps why we appreciate them all the more, because they are temporary and will not last.

Swathes of daffodils on banks and in fields are one of my favourite sights, as are carpeted bluebell woods and bursting, blossoming trees of all colours. Valley Park Woods, where I live are listed as one of the best places to see bluebells in Hampshire by the Woodland Trust.

Me in the bluebells when I was a student.

No comments: