Monday, April 13, 2009

Wild Primrose

Spring Haiku

Acacia tree buds
Primrose wreathed its woody trunk
Hope glowing in shade



On searching for inspiration for my blog title I walked into the garden, my place of retreat, and my eyes alighted on the dense carpet of Primula Vulgaris ringing the Acacia tree. I love the pale lemon coloured flowers set on slender pink stems against the dark green cabbage-like leaves. I love the heart shaped petals and lovely scent. I love that they are a woodland flower and grow wild and will thrive even in dappled shady spots. They coincide with the arrival of the daffodils and are a real signal to the start of spring, longer days, warmer weather and are a cheery sight for the heart.

They have long been associated with faeries and it is said that eating a primrose can open your eyes to the invisible.

(Photo credit: Woodland Trust Picture Library).

No comments: