Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pooh Sticks and Sticky Bobs


One of my favourite things is getting out into the fresh air and going for a walk. It's exercise, it's cheap, it gives you a real boost if you are feeling down, it's really good for creativity, particularly if you write- I always come back inspired.
Last week I walked along the Itchen way with my children. The boys in particular,always drag their feet in protest the first 5 mins(I don't think it's cool to be seen to want to go for a walk) but they always end up having great fun. I love how they can suddenly forget the sophistication of X box and dvd's and enjoy such simple pleasures as 'Pooh sticks' from the bridge or feeding grass to the horses, throwing sticky bobs on each others backs and lying down in a carpet of celandines.
What pleasure they had playing by the bridge, finding the 'best stick' in order to compete. 'Pooh Sticks' derives from the Winnie-the-Pooh books. Basically you throw a stick in upstream of the bridge, then race to the other side to see whose emerges first. Eeyore tells us the technique is to throw it in a 'twitchy' sort of way. The boys, not enamoured with the name'Pooh' call them 'Evil Sticks' and add an extra dimension to the game in running alongside the river and then splashing in to retrieve their sticks in their wellies.




Wellies! If you must get your kids one thing get them a good pair of wellies for wading and splashing. Endless fun and amusement. Another simple pleasure was throwing 'Sticky Bobs' at each other, the dry sticky seed heads of .....? I'm afraid I don't know the real name, if anyone can enlighten me I would be really grateful. Here's a picture of them.











Go on then, go for a walk!















2 comments:

David Maxfield said...

Hi, the plant you're after for stickybobs is Burdock
Dave

suzi said...

Many thanks David