Friday, June 12, 2009

Almost Moon


I have just finished reading a book called 'the Almost Moon' by Alice Sebold. I struggled to read it and would not reccomend it. However the title of the book intrigued me and a quote contained within.

"So much in life is about almost, not quites." "Like the moon" Helen quipped.

I love gazing at the moon on a cloudless night. I love pictures of the moon and poetry about the moon. Sharing a moonlit view with a loved one has to be one of the most romantic and atmospheric things to do. I even have a moon widget on my blog - I must like it!

The whole moon is always there in front of us, although we cannot always see it in its entirety. Except on those nights when it is full, we can do no more than almost see it.

Life mirrors this. The lives of those around us are always there in front of us, however, we seldom see them in their entirety. We can imagine. We almost see them, but we do never quite have the full picture. Why then do we presume, rush to hasty opinions and judge others? What arrogance makes us believe that we are the only ones who see the moon in it's fullness at all times.

Gaze at the moon, ponder , wonder, imagine, but remember it is often not the whole picture. Life, and lives are a mystery.





3 comments:

James Owens said...

Hi, Suzi: Would you happen to have read Sebold's The Lovely Bones? A really extraordinary novel, I think. Sorry to hear that she has dropped off....

The 'slmost's and 'not quite's of life are a kind of obsession with me. It is endlessly fascinating that people --- even those we are closest to --- even oneself (or especially onself) --- are almost never seen in their entirety, they still surprise, they embody contradictions. I feel this in myself, an irony, thinking, "Oh, if only X could see me now, she'd be astonished...." I don't understand how I can be this person with X and be that person, so different, with Y --- and remain, somehow, incomprehensibly, one....

suzi said...

Yes, James, read Lovely Bones which was fab and also Lucky.

I identify with your obsession!

James Owens said...

Hi, Suzi. I keep coming back, looking for poems.... It was your adder poem that brought me here to begin with, and I've read them all now, all the way to your first post. I'm going to scold you next time, if I don't see a poem here soon :-)

(If you don't have any ready to post, email a few and I'll bash them about privately...)