Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Goodnight Moon



Still on the theme of The Moon, this book was a favourite bedtime story to read to my daughter. A little rabbit says goodnight to every object in his bedroom in an attempt to prepare for , or delay, bedtime. The story quietens to a whisper as the room darkens and there is only the moon left to say 'goodnight' to.



We used to have to say 'goodnight' to everything in her room too. A bit of a pain for me who was champing at the bit to have some adult time but wonderfully calming and reassuring for her. That and a blessing was all it took and we have never had any sleep problems.

Remembering this routine some years later I wrote a 'Go to Sleep Moon' poem for her. The picture is by the wonderful artist Peter Alexander who I discovered on 'The English Muse' blog.












Go To Sleep Moon

New Moon,
Blue Moon,
Out Too Soon Moon.

Fine Moon,
Shine Moon,
Have A Good Time Moon.

Zoom Moon,
Soon Moon,
Wishes Come True Moon.

Gloom Moon,
Croon Moon,
Play Me A Tune Moon.

Glow Moon,
Know Moon,
Show Me Home Moon.

Clean Moon,
Gleam Moon,
Have A Sweet Dream Moon.

Peep Moon,
Deep Moon,
Time For Sleep Moon
.


by Suzi




2 comments:

sam of the ten thousand things said...

I like compressed music of the lines, and the vivid imagery here, Suzi. This has the flavor of Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, a work that appeals to adults as well as the young. "Go To Sleep Moon" has a similar impact - and I could imagine this as one of a group of poems.

suzi said...

Thanks Sam,Eliot is wonderful, I loved 'Practical Cats' as a child. I worry about rhyming poems because they seem to be awfully frowned upon at present but I do like them.